Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I love to sit down with a huge mug of coffee and leisurely eat my breakfast while catching up on emails. In my ideal world, breakfast takes anywhere from 1-2 hours. I love preparing a good, healthy, satisfying meal each morning. Some of my favorites include homemade waffles with nut butter, crepes with gruyere cheese and ham, smoothies, homemade macca muffins, poached eggs on homemade bread, etc. Although delicious, NONE of these are quick. On a weekend, no problem, but during the week I don't have time to sit an watch my muffins cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
I need something quick most mornings.
But, I hate to have a just eat a crappy breakfast because it sets the tone for the day. When my breakfast is rushed or not a healthy, satisfying meal I feel off.
Enter the weekday solution: Overnight Oats.
These are so simple to prepare the night before and are easy to take with you on a busy morning. Plus, the options are endless! There are so many ways to customize the overnight oats recipe that it's hard to tire of them.
The recipe below for Coconut Cardamom Overnight Oats is one that I have been enjoying lately. Part of why I like this recipe is because of it's nutritional benefits:
- Coconut milk. Coconut milk is a creamy, delicious alternative to dairy or nut milks. It tastes wonderful and is full of good, healthy fats (medium chain fatty acids) that provide energy and are processed different that other saturated fats.
- Chia Seeds. Chia seeds are packed with protein and rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Organic Oats. A great source of carbohydrate, which is the most important fuel for endurance activities.
- Greek yogurt. A good source of protein and calcium, which helps support bone health.
- JEM Raw Organic Nut Butter. Full of good nutrients, including healthy fats and protein. Nut butter is not only delicious, but also helps keep you full for longer.
- Hemp Hearts. These add a little texture and are also a good source of plant based protein and omega-3 fats.
Coconut Cardamom Overnight Oats
Prep Time: 2-3 minutes
Keywords: raw breakfast vegan Pre-workout
Ingredients (1 serving)
In a small bowl combine coconut milk, chia seeds, oats, banana, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir together until well combined.
Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight.
Powered by Recipage
Mix together the night before