Saturday, March 5, 2016

Rainy days + dreams of chocolate & peanut butter



I have learned to love rainy days. I used to dread the sound of rain on the roof when I woke up. That meant I was going to have to run in the rain :/ I have some PTSD from my time spent living in the valley (Corvallis & Eugene). I remember waking up (most days) to the sound of rain. That meant I was gong to start my day wet. And I was going to be damp and cold the rest of the day. I'm making it sound worse than it was, but when you're used to the sunny desert, it was quite the adjustment.

Anyway, know I don't mind the occasional rainy day. The don't happen very often and now I almost look forward to them. Almost. Only because they feel like a novelty. I much prefer sunshine, and the warmer the better!

Also, since I'm not running it's easier to enjoy the grey. I sort of like the grey, it matches my mood. Not that I'm sad, but I feel mellow and little subdued. It keeps me feeling grounded and in a way connected to the life cycle of the earth.

Deep thoughts. And you thought this was just a recipe! It is, keep reading.

Today was a pretty good day. It's been quiet and home. Just Riley and me. And he doesn't talk much :) I started my day off with a yoga class at one of my favorite studios, followed by a coffee date with myself at my favorite coffee shop (Backporch), some quality time with my pup, and now enjoying a new recipe using two of my favorites: chocolate and peanut butter.

I do miss the freedom of moving effortlessly over the trail, but for now I'm settling into this slower paced life. And it's ok. Especially when chocolate and peanut butter are part of my day!

To make this chocolate peanut butter cup dessert, I basically just blended chocolate and nut butter. It didn't need a whole lot else.

Chocolate +















Nut Butter




= So much yes















Recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Dessert

Ingredients:

  • 2 c cashews, soaked
  • 6-8 dates, pitted
  • 1/2 c cacao powder
  • 1/2-2/3 c nut milk (depending on consistency)
  • 1 banana 
  • pinch of sea salt
  • vanilla extract
  • 3 T peanut butter


Toppings:

  • peanut butter,
  • Chocolate or carob chips
  • cacao nibs
  • walnuts or hemp seeds





Add all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth. Transfer to a small container and sprinkle (generously) with walnuts, chocolate chips, and cacao nibs. Drizzle with peanut butter and refrigerate for a couple hours. 





























No comments:

Post a Comment