Sunday, March 20, 2016

Really Good Weekend Muffins

 There's something about Sunday afternoons and baking. They seem to go together really well. And especially so this spring, as it's been rainy most Sunday afternoons. I like it.








Whenever I think of breakfast muffins I think of my friend Charlotte. She made glorious breakfast muffins AND had a knack for unique flavor combinations. These muffins are a tribute to you Charlotte! 

 












The unique flavors in these muffins come from the mix of flours (spelt & almond), turmeric, cardamom, cacao nibs, and blueberries. That's a lot of different flavor and texture combinations. But trust me, it works. Feel free to exclude any of the spices or nuts & seeds, the base muffin recipe will still turn out. 

 

Ingredients:
1/2 c spelt flour
1/2 c almond meal
1/2 c walnuts
1/2 c coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/2 c milk 
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 T chia seeds (or 1 egg)
1 T flax seeds, ground
3 T water or more milk
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp sea salt
2/3 c frozen blueberries
1/4 c hemp hearts (or other seeds)
1/4 c cacao nibs (optional)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350. In a vitamix or blender, process walnuts until they are a fine texture (just a few seconds). In a large bowl, combine ground walnuts, spelt flour, almond meal, baking soda, spices (cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom), and sat. Stir to combine. In a separate bowl, mash the banana and add milk, and lemon juice. Allow to sit for a few minutes. Stir in sugar, ground flax seeds, ground chia seeds, and water. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and combine. Stir in hemp hearts and cacao nibs (or other nuts/seeds) and gently fold in frozen blueberries. Scoop into a lined or well greased muffin tin and bake at 350 for 20 min. 

4 comments:

  1. This is a belated comment but
    1) I miss baking with you and love this post!
    2) These look KILLER-- You are amazing at mixing/using spices well in ways I can't even comprehend. This also gives me something to do with my cardamom (which I own because it reminds me of ocean roll heaven, but don't actually know how to use very well...)
    3) Hopefully see you in the next couple months for baking dates and more!! In the meantime, give Riley a hug for me :)

    -Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I went on a run with you the other day! (Well, as much as I could given that we're on different coasts--- I ran while listening to you on that Running on Ohm podcast. Not quite as great as actually being with you, but still made the run more fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running Gifts for men

    I love muffins, and muffins inn these pictures are looking yummm... Thanks Stephanie Marie for sharing the Recipe,,, I will also try to make this.

    ReplyDelete